It isn’t. At least not as of June 20, 2017. Despite the rising popularity and questioning of waterproof phones, none has been released yet. Water-resistant? Sure. Here’s what you need to know about waterproof phones. They can be dumped into water. If you have a waterproof phone, you would be able to dunk into the pool – or at least swim with it.
So, here’s the question to ask yourself: Can your phone be swallowed by liquid? The answer is no. There are commercials with the new sleek Samsung Galaxy being used in the rain or falling into mud – but guess what? The new Samsung Galaxy isn’t waterproof, it’s water-resistant. (You can also find a better description at their website)
There are levels of water-resistance as well as dust-resistance. Those are called IP ratings against liquids. Take a look:
The second digit in the IP rating (the 8 in IP68) refers to the level of protection against liquids. This is what tells how well a device ranks as water-resistant.
IP Rating for Liquid
- 0 – No protection.
- 1 . Minimal protection against vertical drops of water, such as very light rain.
- 2 – Protected by vertical drops of water when the device is tilted at 15° from its normal position.
- 3 – Protection against sprays of water when the device is tilted at 60° from its usual position, including rain.
- 4 – Protection from sprays and splashes of water from any direction.
- 5 – Protection against water sprayed directly from a low-pressure nozzle measuring 6.3mm, from any direction.
- 6 – Protection from high-powered water jets with a 12.5mm nozzle, from any direction, such as a shower.
- 7– Protected for up to 1m of immersion for up to 30 minutes, including splashing from a shower or an accidental (and brief) dunking.
- 8 – Protection against submersion beyond 1m. May mean that device is hermetically sealed or merely that any water that can get inside will cause no damage.
The Difference Between Water-proof and Water-Resistant
Waterproof means water doesn’t stand a chance against a particular device. As mentioned, you can basically swim with your phone (without any protective case). Now, water-resistant means the device can withstand levels of liquid. So, for a phone like the Samsung Galaxy S8 – this is a great example of a water-resistant phone.
Blogger. Tech Writer. Wordpress Monster. Visit my websites emoijahbridges.com or savvyandbeautiful.com